Monday, November 14, 2011

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread

Fall is my absolute favorite season.  And although it was about 73 degrees today in St. Louis, it is still fall as far as I'm concerned.  When I think of fall, I can't help but think of falling leaves, cool breezes, and of course . . . pumpkins.  I am definitely not the biggest fan of pumpkin, or even desserts containing pumpkin.  I am more enticed by the whipped cream topping on a pumpkin pie than the pie itself.  Even Starbucks can't talk me into a pumpkin spice latte.  But I decided to give pumpkin a chance today, seeing as Thanksgiving is just around the corner.  I found this recipe on Pinterest and only made some slight tweaks to it.  I have to say that I may not be eating any pumpkin pies soon, but I will definitely eat a slice or two of this bread.  I started out with just a couple of bites to make sure those I would be serving it to wouldn't be forced to smile through gritted teeth.  I was surprised when I went back for a few more bites and eventually finished off an entire slice.  It's subtle sweetness and cinnamon flavor makes it hard to resist.  So even if you are not a pumpkin fan, give this one a try!  It just might change your mind!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
Recipe makes 2, 8 x 4 x 3 loaves


Filling:
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 T all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Bread:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 can (15 oz) pureed pumpkin (such as Libby's)
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Cinnamon Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 T half & half
1 tsp ground cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour two 8 x 4 x 3 inch loaf pans.  If you only have one pan, you can bake the loaves one at a time and simply keep the two mixture in the refrigerator while you wait.
2.  In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 T flour, egg, and 1/2 tsp vanilla to create filling.  Beat until smooth and creamy.  Set aside.
3.  In a large bowl, blend 1 2/3 cups flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, and nutmeg.  Set aside.
4.  In another medium bowl, combine pumpkin puree, canola oil, eggs, and granulated sugar.  Beat well.
5.  Stir the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
6.  Pour half of the pumpkin bread batter evenly into the two prepared loaf pans.
7.  Spoon cream cheese filling mixture on top of pumpkin batter layers in each loaf pan.
8.  Spoon remaining pumpkin bread batter on top of cream cheese filling mixture in each loaf pan.
9.  Insert a knife vertically into loaf pan and swirl knife through pan to create a marbling effect.
10.  Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of the loaf comes out clean.
11.  Cool bread in pans for 10 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely.
12.  Combine ingredients for cinnamon glaze, mixing well.
13.  Drizzle glaze over completely cooled bread loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment