Monday, November 14, 2011

Dark Chocolate Açai Oatmeal Cookies

A few months ago I made a delicious discovery while wandering the aisles of our local Costco - dark chocolate covered açai berries!  I had heard a lot about these berries because of there antioxidant properties, but I had no idea what on earth one might taste like.  So I decided to do something completely out of character, and accept the free sample offered to me.  You might wonder why this is such a big deal.  Those who know of my germaphobic tendencies will understand how something as simple as a free sample is enough to make me cringe.  The thought of my food sitting there, out in the open, unprotected, as customer after customer examine it, and breathe on it . . . a scary thought!  Well I am happy to say I survived the experience, and may even sample again . . . gasp!  I had been eating these berries for a couple of months by the handful when I was craving something sweet.  Then one day it dawned on me, something this delicious belongs in a cookie!  After some brainstorming, I decided the oatmeal cookie was the proper choice.  This recipe is 100% my own, so I hope you enjoy!        


Dark Chocolate Açai Oatmeal Cookies
2 sticks (1/2 lb) butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup dark chocolate covered açai berries (such as Brookside), coarsely chopped


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
3.  Beat butter and sugars until creamy.
4.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
5.  Add combined flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt; mix until combined.
6.  Add oats and mix just until combined.
7.  Fold in chopped berries.
8.  Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
9.  Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown.
10.  Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheets before moving to wire rack.



No comments:

Post a Comment