Sunday, November 13, 2011

Banana Rum Fudge Cake

I thought it would make sense to have my first recipe post explain the name of my blog "Banana Rum."  Since my baking was inspired by my Papa, I picked a name that would pay tribute to my favorite cake that he baked.  It is a delicious dark fudge cake with a fluffy, light, pudding-based frosting.  Like the name says there is rum in it!  If you are looking to make it kid friendly just use the rum in the cake (where it will bake off) and nix the rum in the frosting.  However, I remember asking my Papa many times to just make a batch of frosting for my sister and I to eat by the spoonful.  I'm pretty sure he never left out the rum and we turned out just fine :)  I've made a few changes to the recipe over time, but it's still just as delicious as I remember!

Banana Rum Fudge Cake
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa (or Hershey's Cocoa for a lighter cake)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2-3) mashed banana
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup dark rum
3 large eggs

1 package (3 3/4 oz) instant banana cream pudding
1 cup cold milk
1 T dark rum (optional)
8 oz whipped topping, thawed

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
2.  Add mashed bananas, water, rum, and eggs to mixture.  Beat with electric mixer at medium speed until completely combined (about 4 minutes).
3.  Pour into greased and floured 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish.  Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
4.  Cool completely.
5.  To prepare frosting combine pudding mix, milk, and rum (optional).  Beat at medium speed until thickened.
6.  Fold in whipped topping.  Spread evenly over cooled cake.
7.  Refrigerate cake (and leftovers) until serving.
The cake above was made with Hershey's Cocoa, not Special Dark Hershey's Cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment