Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lemon Cranberry Cupcakes with Orange Buttercream

Last night I worked my very first 12-hour night shift in the hospital nursery.  It actually went surprisingly well.  But I have to say that after 25 years, trying to convince your body that staying up all night is the right decision is a difficult task.  You basically need to tell your circadian rhythm to take a hike and go about your tasks.  I think the strangest part of being up all night, besides acting like it was completely normal, was trying to decide what to eat.  Do I eat dinner at 2AM or breakfast?  Then, when I got home at 8AM, I couldn't decide whether to eat cereal or pasta.  I don't know if there is any right or wrong answer to these questions, except to avoid garlicky pasta, as my heartburn quickly taught me.  So when I woke up this morning . . . I mean this afternoon . . . I was inspired to make something that could double as breakfast and/or dessert.  One of my family's favorite cookie recipes is a citrus-glazed cranberry oatmeal cookie (which will be a later post).  I decided to take this versatile cookie and turn it into a cupcake.  This cupcake has the citrus flavors often associated with breakfast, yet it is in cupcake form, which classifies it as dessert.  Basically, it is the perfect snack for any time of the day or night!
Lemon Cranberry Cupcakes with Orange Buttercream
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 T lemon juice
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
1 cup dried cranberries (such as Craisins)


Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (16 oz) package powdered sugar, divided
1/3 cup milk
2 T orange zest


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2.  Combine all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk together and set aside.
3.  Combine butter, sugar, and lemon zest and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
4.  Beat in eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition.
5.  Beat in vanilla extract and lemon juice.
6.  With mixer on low speed, mix half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated.  Add milk.  Mix remaining dry ingredients, just until incorporated.  Stir in dried cranberries.
7.  Divide batter evenly between the prepared liners, filling each about 3/4 of the way full. 
8.  Bake 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9.  Let cool in pans 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
10.  To make frosting, beat butter at medium speed until creamy.
11.  Add 1 cup powdered sugar until blended.  Add milk, beating until blended.
12.  Add remaining powdered sugar, beating until well blended.
13.  Stir in orange zest.
14.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes to make frosting easier to work with.  Frost cupcakes as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment