Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cookies & Cream Mini Cupcakes

Tonight's baking endeavor was an exercise in self restraint.  I didn't know going into it that this would be the case.  I had plans to make these cookies & cream mini cupcakes annnnnd classic vanilla mini cupcakes for Thanksgiving tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I won't be eating any turkey or watching any football because I'll be at work, so I decided to send myself in spirit with these cupcakes.  Being Italian, and this may be somewhat stereotypical, but nonetheless very true, I have inherited the desire to feed people.  Any family event involves enormous quantities of food because we are always worried about not having enough.  Now in all my life, I have never seen this occur, but it is always a concern.  By the time I was finished baking these cupcakes, I ended up with an even 60.  But somehow, sitting on my counter, it just didn't look like very many.  I started gathering up the ingredients to make my vanilla cupcakes when my finacé asked what I was doing.  "Making more cupcakes for tomorrow," I replied without a second thought.  The look on his face explained just how crazy he thought I was before he even said a word.  After he went on about how everyone didn't need a cupcake because there would be other desserts, which of course I didn't agree with, I put my ingredients away and decided to stick with my 60 cupcakes, as opposed to the 120 I would end up with if I made vanilla cupcakes too.  This was a very difficult thing for me to do! And even now, as I sit typing this post, looking at my tiny little cupcakes in their tray, I'm wondering, should I have made more?  Either way these minis are delicious and they are topped with my favorite frosting I have ever created!
 Cookies & Cream Mini Cupcakes
(makes approximately 60 mini cupcakes)


60 1/2 tsp Oreo cookie crumbs
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup light sour cream
3 eggs
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix


Frosting:
1 cup butter
Oreo cream from separated cookies
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
2 T half & half
1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs sifted


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line mini muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2.  Separate 1 package of Oreo cookies.  Scrape off the cream center and set aside for later.  Put the cookies in the food processor to crush.
3.  Sift the crushed Oreos.  You will need 1 cup sifted cookies for the frosting, so set this amount aside.  Any left over sifted cookies, as well as the larger pieces that did not sift, can be used in the next step.
4.  Place 1/2 tsp of larger crumbs and left over sifted cookies into the bottom of each cupcakes liner.
5.  In a large bowl, whisk together water, buttermilk, oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
6.  Add eggs, one at a time, whisking to combine after each addition.
7.  Slowly add the Devil's Food Cake Mix while stirring.
8.  Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9.  To make frosting:  beat together butter and Oreo cream centers.
10.  Add vanilla, powdered sugar, and half and half.  Beat until combined.
11.  Add sifted Oreo cookie crumbs and beat just until combined.  Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.  
Source:  Adapted from Your Cup of Cake's Oreo Crumble Cupcakes

2 comments:

  1. FYI, in the instructions, you state to mix water, buttermilk, OIL, etc., but you do not have oil in the ingredient list. My guess is that you added oil in error because you probably used the sour cream instead of oil. They sound very yummy and I know Destiny (among others) will be very excited to taste them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for catching that! There is oil in the recipe - my mistake :)

    ReplyDelete