Sunday, January 22, 2012

Triple Berry Bars

I wanted to try something completely different today.  Lately it's been cupcakes, cupcakes, and more cupcakes.  Now don't get me wrong, I love cupcakes, but I just wanted a change of pace!  Since I started this blog in November, I've been dying to make berry desserts.  Unfortunately, it's just not the season for good quality fruit in Missouri.  I am anxiously awaiting summer, so I can get my hands on some fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.  I have a running list of berry desserts for when the weather gets warmer.  That being said, I just couldn't help myself today!  Even though the berries in the bars are not fresh, they are delicious!


Triple Berry Bars

Crust and Topping:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled

Fruit Filling:
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup flour
pinch salt
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp almond extract
32 oz frozen blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries; thawed and drained

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. 
2.  To make crust and topping, combine the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse a few times to mix, or whisk until combined. 
3.  Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes, and add to the flour mixture.  Process until the butter is evenly distributed, but the mixture is still crumbly, 30-60 seconds.  If you do not have a food processor, you can use a pastry blender or two forks.
4.  Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the mixture to use as the topping.  Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan, and bake 12-15 minutes.  Cool for at least 10 minutes.
5.  To make the filling, whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then add the sugar, sour cream, flour, salt, lemon zest, and almond extract. 
6.  Gently fold in the berries and spoon the mixture over the crust. 
7.  Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture evenly over the filling, and bake 45 to 55 minutes.
8.  Cool at least 1 hour before cutting into bars.




Source:  Adapted from Pink Parsley's Blackberry Pie Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment