Sunday, January 15, 2012

Java Chip Muffins

I decided to change it up slightly today, since I've been on a cupcake kick lately.  When I saw this recipe in this month's Cooking Light magazine I knew I had to try it.  I mean come on . . . chocolate and coffee . . . who can say no to that combination!  These muffins are great for breakfast, and will give you a little jump start with the added caffeine.  Plus they are only about 200 calories each!  Pair it with a cup of coffee if you are really in need of an energy boost.


Java Chip Muffins
2/3 cup whole milk (I didn't have whole milk on hand so I used 2 oz of half & half + 6 oz of skim milk to make my own)
5 T butter, melted
3 T instant coffee granules
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 T baking powder
1/4 tsp salt


1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2.  Combine first 5 ingredients in medium mixing bowl.
3.  In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt; stir well with a whisk.
4.  Make a well in the center of the flour and pour milk mixture into well.  Stir just until moist.
5.  Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6.  Remove muffins from pan immediately; place on wire rack to cool.


Source:  Cooking Light magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment