Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Sprinkle Cookies

Now you might think I'm crazy when you hear where I got the inspiration for this recipe, but trust me on this one.  Some of my favorite things to put on vanilla ice cream are cinnamon and sprinkles!  I don't know what gave me the idea for this combination, or exactly when I started doing this, but I find it to be delicious.  So as I was eating my vanilla ice cream, complete with sprinkles and cinnamon the other day, I had the idea to turn that flavor combination into a cookie.  The base of this recipe is a simple sugar cookie with these two added ingredients.  The cookie turned out just as I imagined it would.  At first it tastes similar to a sugar cookie, but the cinnamon flavor comes through at the end and the slight crunch of the sprinkles adds to the texture.  I have to say, I think these cookies would taste great with some vanilla ice cream!


Cinnamon Sugar Sprinkle Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup confetti sprinkles (I use Betty Crocker Parlor Perfect)
additional granulated sugar


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon; set aside.
3.  In large bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar.
4.  Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
5.  Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture until combined.  Stir in sprinkles.
6.  Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
7.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls (or 1/2-inch balls for mini cookies) and roll in sugar before placing on greased baking sheet.
8.  Flatten dough balls slightly with a glass.
9.  Bake for 8-10 (6-8 mins for mini cookies) minutes.  Do not wait for the edges to brown!  Let stand on cookie sheets for 2 minutes before moving to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment