Friday, March 2, 2012

Peach Ginger Cupcakes

I've been intrigued by this combination ever since it became popular in the cupcake world.  I figured I might as well give it a try and see what happened when I combined the spicy and sweet.  Well . . . the jury is still out on this one as far as I'm concerned.  Usually, when I taste a cupcake I get am immediate "Yes!" feeling about it.  This one, however, not so much.  The cake is moist, light, and fluffy, and the frosting is sweet and peachy, but despite its positive qualities, I just don't get an overwhelming sense of success with this flavor combination.  I'm going to let some others sample it and see what they think!  Maybe peach and ginger just isn't my thing!  


Peach Ginger Cupcakes
1 can peach pie filling (21 oz)
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
3 eggs
1 box french vanilla cake mix


Frosting:
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peach jelly or jam
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 cups powdered sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2.  In large bowl, mix together cake mix, pie filling, ginger, and eggs until combined.  You do not need to use a hand or stand mixer for this recipe, just a spoon works!  You may wish to cut the peaches into smaller pieces by inserting a knife in the can and cutting them against the wall of the can.
3.  Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
4.  Move cupcakes to wire rack to cool completely.
5.  To make frosting:  Beat butter until light and fluffy; add jelly or jam, vanilla, powdered sugar, and whipping cream.  Mix until desired piping consistency is reached.
6.  Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment