Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Papa's Super Simple Healthy Brownies

The more I write these blog posts, the more I realize how many things I considered a normal part of childhood that many others don't.  I was probably at least 12 years-old before I ever had a brownie prepared according to the directions on the box because we always had "Papa's brownies."  I grew up in a world where banana rum fudge cake, and plum cakes were birthday staples, and there was no such thing as an artichoke in my vocabulary (as far as I was concerned it was a carciofo), until I reached about 10 years-old.  Along with these things, these brownies were a childhood staple.  My Papa got the recipe from the newspaper, like many of his others, and I added the glaze just to kick it up a notch.  Papa's version of the brownie was simply dusted with powdered sugar.  They are a fraction of the calories because the eggs and oil are completely removed, but they are still chewy and delicious!  


Papa's Super Simple Healthy Brownies
Brownies:
Brownie mix (one that calls for 2 eggs & a 1/2 cup oil)
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1/4 cup water


Glaze (optional):
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
2-3 tsp water
2 drops red food coloring (optional)


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for glass pan) and grease 13 x 9 pan.
2.  Combine brownie mix, yogurt, and water.  Mix well.
3.  Spread mixture into pan (it will be very thick).
4.  Bake for 30 minutes or until brownie begins to pull away from edge.
5.  Cool completely before cutting.
6.  To make glaze:  combine powdered sugar, almond extract, water, and food coloring (if desired).  If mixture is too thick, add water 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.  If mixture is too thin, add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
7.  Drizzle cooled brownies with glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment